Zycosan® (pentosan polysulfate sodium injection)
• Zycosan® is indicated for the control of clinical signs associated with osteoarthritis in horses.
• Pale yellow to brownish yellow, clear, sterile solution
• Administer 3mg/kg (1.4mg/lb) by intramuscular injection once weekly for four weeks (a total of four doses over 28 days)
• Zycosan® does not contain a preservative and unused portions should be discarded
• The effectiveness of Zycosan® for the control of clinical signs associated with osteoarthritis in horses was demonstrated to the FDA in one well-controlled field study1
• Horses that demonstrated improvement over baseline in the index limb by at least one AAEP lameness grade were considered a treatment success.
Packaging: 1 carton containing four, 7.5 mL vials.
pentosan polysulfate sodium
|Documents:||Package insert get_app SDS get_app|
Important safety information
As with all drugs, side effects may occur. For intramuscular use in horses only. Not for use in humans. Pentosan polysulfate sodium is a weak anticoagulant. Caution should be used when administering Zycosan if you are taking an anticoagulant. In case of accidental self-injection, seek immediate medical attention. If product comes into contact with skin, rinse skin thoroughly with water and seek medical attention if needed. Horses with hypersensitivity to pentosan polysulfate sodium should not receive Zycosan. Do not use Zycosan concurrently with other anticoagulant drugs. Do not use in horses with clotting disorders or within 24 hours of surgical procedures. Caution should be used when administering this drug before or after strenuous activities. Caution should be used when NSAIDS are administered concurrently due to the anticoagulant effects of Zycosan. If Zycosan and NSAIDS are used concurrently, horses should be monitored for hemorrhage or other clinical signs of abnormal bleeding. The safe use of Zycosan has not been evaluated in breeding, pregnant, or lactating horses. The safety of long-term repeat use of Zycosan has not been evaluated. The most frequently reported adverse reactions are injection site reactions, prolongation of coagulation parameters (activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) and prothrombin time (PT). Refer to the prescribing information for complete details or visit www.dechra-us.com.
1Zycosan® Freedom of Information. Dec 2022.
Zycosan is a registered trademark of Dechra Limited.